- (1 lb.) Stew Meat
- (1 1/2 cup) pearl barley
- (2) large celery stalks, chopped
- (2) large carrots, chopped
- (1) small yellow or white onion, diced
- (4) garlic cloves, chopped
- (1 (15 oz.) can) crushed tomatoes
- (1 Tbsp.) smoked paprika
- (1/2 tsp.) dried thyme leaves
- (1/2 tsp.) dried oregano leaves
- (1 tsp.) honey
- (8 cups) vegetable stock (or water)
- Salt & pepper, to season
- (1 Tbsp.) red wine vinegar
- Add stew meat*, barley, vegetables, garlic, canned tomatoes, paprika, herbs, and honey to slow cooker. Pour stock over and season generously with salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook until barley is softened and stew meat is tender, about 2 to 3 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low.
- Finish the stew with a small splash of red wine vinegar (this helps brighten up all the flavors). Season to taste with salt & pepper and serve with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley.
*For extra flavor, sear stew meat in a skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp. canola oil until browned on all sides (about 5 minutes per side) before adding to slow cooker.
This recipe is also published on ashleecooks.com.